Wednesday, September 10, 2008

ridic'lous

Oh, hey.

Yes, I'm blogging to you right now from a public computer. "Why?", you ask? Well, it's because my laptop is a complete and total piece of shit, you inquistive little thing, you. No kidding.

It's been acting rather peculiar as of late, and I couldn't comprehend why. Like Gizmo, I never got it wet, I never fed it after midnight, etc. etc., so I just couldn't seem to find a logical explanation for it to suddenly turn into such a little monster.

But so is the subterfuge of our technology ridden world - things just happen, and when they do, we take a mighty blow. I am nothing without my sweet, sweet lappy. I find my dependency really disturbing, and it never really occurred to me the full extent of my addiction until today, when Miss Compaq went buh-byes. I cannot recall a point in my life anymore when I was without the internet. I don't recall a time when I didn't have the ability to type and print documents, instead of handwriting them out. The prospect of handwriting anything now seems almost completely ridiculous. Why make others suffer my poor penmanship when I can make them suffer just as much with a font type like "Comic Sans"? There are some things I think do still require realworld interaction. Things like...shopping. There are two sides to this though, and I am no stranger to both sides. Example: while I do think that shopping online is a very hermit-y way of living, you can also find/buy some pretty kickin' stuff on the 'net. I have recently taken advantage of this fact - not gonna lie.

Another thing that I strongly believe should be done in person: job applications. Doesn't it seem kind of lazy to just...apply for a job in your pajamas? There's a certain mature and responsible quality that comes with the effort of scrubbin' up and hunting, genuinely hunting, for a job. Enough with this blanket application bullshit, I say. Like, did you know that I could have applied for Starbucks barista-ness on the interweb? Yessir! I would have saved like...$13 in gas money and about $37 in coffee money. (Sadly, I feel compelled to drink whenever I enter a 'bucks. It's the smell that does me in.)

Oh, another thing that should be done in person? Break-ups. Nothing makes you look like more of a pansy than saying "u n me just dont work n e more" over MSN. Example:

Fern says:
..but I thought you liked me?

Yet Another Guy says:
u r a qt, but we r just not rite 4 each other. l8r.

Exactly.

Technology has led us back into a time of primitiveness. Okay, maybe not, but I think you get what I'm saying. We have less compassion for each other than we used to, because things are just too convenient nowadays. It's meaningful social interaction that separates us from them, right? Right.

So, in the absence of my much beloved computer-on-the-go (who is currently having a sleep-over at Futureshop), I've turned to the ways of (as aforementioned) public computers. I'll be honest, I feel rather unclean? unsafe? using them, and I've got the urge to run home and wash my entire body with bleach. The keyboard as something clear-ish and crusty on it. Semen? Possible, but we can't prove it.

You're #1,

FMcG

P.S. I'm almost pretty sure that (so far) this is the longest blog you've ever had to suffer through, so congratulations!

No comments: