Sunday, December 21, 2008

Miss Teen Wordpower

If the internet had an ass, I'm pretty sure my foot would be shoved half-way up it by now. My connection has been M.I.A. for the last little while. I feel like maybe it's hiding from something. (Mafia connections? Whatever.)

On a lighter note, I now live in Antarctica*, and you should know that penguins also drink coffee*. It's very cold and snowy here, and I'm definitely missing the warmer weather I had grown so accustomed to.

And now for a critical analysis: on my drive home tonight, I was very much so "rocking out" to the sweet, sweet melody of Oasis' "Definitely/Maybe", and I couldn't help but notice a similarity between the song "Slide Away" and smash hit "Wonderwall" from previous album "(What's the Story) Morning Glory". Then, upon arriving home and listening to "Stop Crying Your Heart Out" from "Heathen Chemistry", I couldn't help but note a similarity between that song and the aforementioned. It seems as though every Oasis album has that one all-too-important mellow jam on it that sits apart from the rest of the album. It also seems as though a certain formula has been constructed to make every song just similar enough to be attractive and worth the listen, but dissimilar to make your average bear not catch onto the fact that all these songs are the same. My feelings on this are varied, because while I feel it's important to come up with new and original material for each album an artist puts out, I also know that artists get a lot of pressure from record companies to release new albums and that creativity doesn't come from a faucet that you can turn on and off. Also, I enjoy the songs on the albums, so I guess in the end, that's all that really matters.

Interesting observation #2: the closer we're getting to the big day, the less and less people have been wishing me a "Merry Christmas". Oh, don't worry, I'm not losing any sleep over it, I just find it particularly interesting. I think it's because, the closer we get to it, the more people start dreading it and therefore don't want to remind themselves of it. Or, maybe it's because they're just thinking about too much to think about trivial shit like wishing someone well during the holidays. Isn't that interesting? No? Oh, fuck off.

I went to the mall yesterday, and it was the biggest mistake of my life.

So, that basically sums it up. Keep it real.

* = indicates complete lies.

No comments: