Sunday, July 13, 2008

kees kees

Happy birthday, Sydni Jodine!

'Tis my BFF's murda-versary today, and I'm very sad that she's away right now. No fears, my dears...we'll be getting crunked in a cabin on the 19th. Drunken squeal.

So, I was feeling like the cure for cancer earlier today when I saw that Les Savy Fav is playing at the Commodore on the 26th. It occurred to me later at work though that I'm poor and have to work and therefore can't go. It kind of sucks having "responsibilities" and "bills" and "ethics". Pssht, what's that, man? What is that? Whatevz.

It's the gas prices that are giving my wallet the strong right hook the worst. It's this whole "carbon tax" bullshit. I know the government wants to discourage Canadians from driving as much, but realistically, some people depend on their vehicles. It comes down to this: public transit isn't reliable, especially in less urban areas. And even in urban centres (i.e. Vancouver), buses and 'skytrains' are not always on time. Also, it's just as expensive to get a bus pass for a month as it is for me to put a tank of gas in my car. I can get 2 weeks out of 1 tank of gas if I'm mindful of my driving. A bus pass doesn't seem worth it when I can simply drive myself where I want to go for just as much. I think the real solution to the amount of greenhouse gases and emissions being produced is that....there is no real solution. People have become far too accustomed to the luxury of driving to give it up or even to reduce it at this point. I haven't been driving that long, but even to me, the idea of an existance without my automotive companion makes me kind of nervous. However, I am a connoisseur of public transit when the mood strikes me, so I can slowly "cut the cord". Very slowly.

Okay, stay shy.

No comments: